- Expository Writing: Things to Consider When Writing A-Level Essay
- What is expository writing: Key things to know
- Types of expository writing
- Expository vs. narrative texts: Do they differ?
- Tips and tricks for successful performance
- 1. Enrich your outlook regularly
- 2. Sound logically and briefly
- 3. Use many facts
- 4. Consider tone and voice
- Essay paper structure
- Doubts? Apply to professionals!
Students have to cope with many various academic tasks. Term papers, essays, reports, lectures, researches take so much time, so it is not easy to learn the details of each homework. Expository writing is just one small part of academic education. A student should know all the details concerning this type of assignment. It is also better to email a professor to find out the requirements concerning the homework. We have prepared hints for you to follow and succeed in this field.
What is expository writing: Key things to know
It usually happens that people fail because they know nothing about the task they are going to complete. Those who know expository writing definition are less lucky to make mistakes. The core of the task is to convey some idea applying facts. It should lack a personal point of view. The main goal of this assignment is to explain some method, hypothesis, or issue.
Types of expository writing
We have prepared several expository writing prompts for you to better understand the task you have to execute. Types of this assignment vary regarding what one should do. A performer can:
- define or describe (encyclopedia is a vivid example)
- provide the sequence or process (for example, sites describing steps to follow in DIY things or recipes)
- classify something (just like in case of essay types, one organizes classification and explains what is expository writing)
- compare or parallel things (for instance, show the difference between payday loans and bank lending)
- elicit reasons and results (e.g., weather changes: causes and consequences of global warming)
- state the problem and find the solution (here it is important to find the appropriate facts and way out regarding an existing problem)
Due to these types of expository writing, one can recognize the expository style and distinguish it from the others.
Expository vs. narrative texts: Do they differ?
First, it is quite difficult to find the difference between narrative and expository writing. Both retell a topic and require details. The main distinguishing feature of narration is that an author can appeal to emotions to create a story. These could be suppositions, impressions, personal experience, etc. Expository telling is often dry. It presents trustworthy data as in statistics, scientific articles, etc. Here are narrative and expository writing examples.
N. I noticed that something had been wrong with my brother. He always wanted to drink and eat. He never joined our usual morning exercising at school and active games with our friends. James was exhausted even on weekends. His bruises and cuts didn’t want to heal quickly as previously. Mom called a doctor. I was terrified. My brother turned out to be a member of “diabetes victims”.
E. The most typical symptoms of diabetes mellitus are:
- constant hunger and thirst
- problematic vision
- slow healing injuries
- often urination
- numbness in upper and lower extremities
Correct editing is also an important step to an A-level essay. Do not forget to ask your tutor to suggest improvements or ask a professional to do homework for you.
Tips and tricks for successful performance
Each essay type has concrete peculiarities. If you have already understood what does expository writing mean, it is time to improve your skills of a writer.
1. Enrich your outlook regularly
An expository essay demands evidence, proofs, and facts. That is why a student should learn something new daily or at least periodically.
2. Sound logically and briefly
An expository paper needs more concrete and precise language units compared to fiction writing. You are to connect everything logically using facts. There is no place for individual viewpoint, anecdotes or funny thought-out stories. A writer must read and reread the paper to see if everything is exact and rational.
3. Use many facts
An author boosts facts but not suppositions in this paper. Nobody will agree that imagination is a basic factor in correct expository writing because it is the core of fiction. Citations, extracts from scientific resources, statistics, and evidence are the best assistants in expository papers.
4. Consider tone and voice
It is a well-known fact that passive voice seldom fits academic writing. It is hard to understand the message. Active voice makes things more clear and logical. It is also important to consider the recommendations when choosing the first, second or third person (both singular and plural). The choice depends on the kind of essay. If a person must base it on personal experience, then 1st person singular is to prevail. As a rule, explanatory writing demands 3rd person singular and plural.
Essay paper structure
It is not enough just to define expository writing. One should also be able to structure the paper properly. There are three main constituents of essays.
The Introduction gives a short overview of the problem or issue. It often comprises the thesis statement and makes only up to 10% of the paper length.
The body delivers the message supporting it with facts. A person describes, informs, or explains something in chronological and logical order. This part makes 80% of a research paper volume.
The conclusion sums up and briefly revises the core idea. It also suggests further research or some effective solution (if there is any).
It is not easy to start. Experts recommend using expository writing graphic organizer. It resembles a scheme of future work. The most popular types are:
- Brainstorming. A circle with the idea is in the center and details/facts surround it from all sides.
- T-chart. It has T-shape with the topic on the top and details on the one side and their explanation/description on the other side.
- An outline. It can be different but basically provides the paper structure and links to resources with facts.
One more important thing is not to forget about proofreading and copyediting before handing in the paper.
Doubts? Apply to professionals!
Now you know what is the purpose of expository writing. It aims at conveying the idea through facts and evidence. Each word is to be emotionless and deprived of the author’s point of view. The best way to understand the theory is to see the practical application of it. You might look for expository writing examples 4th grade, 5th grade, and other grades to study good samples.Life is unpredictable. There are circumstances which might busy you and steal your time. What to do? How to cope with the assignment? We offer 24/7 service to come to your rescue. Experts are ready to write high-quality home assignments of any complexity and face the toughest deadline.